Friday, August 21, 2009

How To Prepare Herbal Medicine At Home

My uterus is feeling rather tender today. Feels like there's something going on in there... Hopefully the sperm and my egg are having a party in there! I didn't have any symptoms like that at all last cycle. With the absence of ovulation, it felt like there was nothing in there at all- no uterus, no hormones, no nothing! So what a difference this cycle feels. I guess my hormones are finally kicking in. And I hope all these herbs that my husband and I are taking everyday are creating super soldiers and super eggs!

It does take quite a bit of time & effort to prepare the herbs everyday - it is a commitment. And this is how I do it. You don't need any fancy equipment -- just a pot and a stove. You could use a stainless steel pot, but usually a non-reactive material like ceramic, glass or earthenware is recommended. A glass pot like Visionware or ceramic Corningware with a lid is fine, which is what I use.



Some people rinse their herbs first, but I don't bother because it's an extra step and you may lose some precious ingredients while discarding the water. For example, some herbal preparations come with ground medicinal powder which you may accidentally rinse out.

Place the herbs in the pot and pour the water in. My TCM doctor recommends using 5 cups of water, boiled and reduced down to 1 cup.



Some herbal preparations are quite big, volume wise, so they may need more water. Whatever the case, it is safe to aim for enough water to cover the dried herbs with at least 1 inch of water above it. Bring to a boil, and then turn down the fire to a simmer. Stir once half way through to make sure all the herbs have a chance to be submerged in water. The process of boiling them (about 1 hour) extracts the nutrients from the herbs. When you've boiled it down to about a cup of liquid, pour the herbal tea into a cup or bowl through a strainer to separate the solids.

And voila! Your herbal medicine is ready! It is important that you remove the herbs from the liquid as soon as it is ready as leaving the herbs in the tea will cause the extracted nutrients to be reabsorbed back into the herbs. And the herbal tea should be drunk warm.


Then repeat everyday until desired pregnancy is achieved ;-D

2 comments:

Carlia said...

hi zengirl! thanks so much for visiting my blog. i really appreciated your comment. it's always nice to be reminded that i'm not the only one going through this and there are lots of others who understand. thanks for the site on eastern meds. i'll definitely take a look at it. i started taking dong quay not long ago and it seems to make a huge difference, even more so than the clomid did. well, you mentioned you're still trying to figure out he whole date of ovulation thing and i have a suggestion for you. have you read "taking charge of your fertility"? it's an incredible book that explains exactly how it all works and what signs to look for to help you conceive or prevent conception naturally. there are lots of tips in there for helping you to conceive as well. i attribute both my pregnancies to what i learned in that book. well, i hope you'll visit my blog again. i'll check in on yours, too. best of luck! -carlia-

zengirl said...

Thank you Carla for stopping by and sharing. The path I am taking with Eastern Herbal medicine is often a lonely one. Not many people believe in it, even though there have been many tremendously successful cases. I am always thrilled when somebody is willing to give it a shot, especially since it is natural, non-invasive and cheap(er). After all, it did help me conceive the first time within 4 months of treatment. Obviously with my miscarriage, my body is still not 100% ready yet for a successful conception, so I will persevere.

And thanks for recommending that book. I will go check it out for sure. I'll definitely be visiting our blog again. I hope you'll find progress with the herbs and I wish you all the best!