Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My New "Fertility" Acupuncturist

After conceiving briefly in March last year, I never thought that it would take me so long to conceive again, especially after going through some intense treatments under the same TCM doc who helped get me pregnant. From March 2009 to Jan 2010, we were thousands of dollars poorer, and the score was still a BIG FAT ZERO. I started having doubts about the effectiveness of his treatments. Who knows? Maybe our pregnancy was a fluke?

I desperately wanted to see a TCM physician who specializes in fertility, but nobody I knew who suffered from infertility sought treatment from an acupuncturist or chinese doctor. My husband and I were on a very lonely and quiet road all by ourselves. Only one other TCM physician came to mind which I had found on the internet over a year ago. It was the same doctor that we had considered before settling for our TCM doc we've had the past year. The only reason we did not go to him was that his clinic was located right across town from us which would take 45 minutes to get to. Inconvenience would greatly hinder our motivation to go for treatments especially if we had to go very regularly.

After re-reading his website again which claimed that he was "well known for treating infertility" we knew we had to consider him. But nobody we know has heard of him. We found ourselves back at square one again, asking the same question we did a year ago - Do we go for any old doctor we find on the internet? What if he's a Quack Doctor? But we had no other options. We have not reached the stage where we were comfortable with trying Clomid, or IUIs and IVFs yet. I believe in the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine, and since I managed to get pregnant au naturel once, I am still convinced that I can do it again. So we decided to give him a shot!

On January 22nd, 1 week back from Boracay and 5 days after our last appointment with our old TCM doc, we went across town to see him. After being greeted by a young man in a white doctor's coat, and ushered straight to an acupuncture bed, we thought he was THE doctor. Good thing we asked for the doctor, which apparently was not him. Within a minute or two, a short, middle-aged, barefoot man in a short-sleeved shirt and shorts appeared. What? You gotta be kidding me? The doctor on the website was dressed in a suit and tie, and presumably shoes too! He explained that he was usually at the other clinic (which we weren't aware of) and that it was a rare occasion that we caught him there. Well, I guess it was his day off. But he proceeded to see us anyway.

So,

ROUND 1 - Ding! Ding! Over!
Conclusion - First Impressions NOT good!

I proceeded to explain to him why we were there to see him and I found out that he could not really speak English! OH MY GAWD! That's my worst nightmare! He didn't even understand the word "endometriosis". How are we ever going to understand each other? I only knew a smattering of chinese and it took all of me to communicate with him. My husband fared even worse with languages. We ended up speaking in a mixture of 3 languages!

I barely understood him, and I had no idea how to say ovulation, or period, or infertility, or poor sperm motility, or even sex in chinese! These are not the typical terms they teach you for everyday communication when you're learning a language. So what I know wasn't very helpful. At this point, it's pretty useless going up to him and saying in perfect Chinese, "Excuse me, where's the bus stop?" After struggling for some time, he got the gist and I got the gist of my diagnosis, which had something to do with dry heat and weak kidneys. He wrote me a prescription of herbal medicine and gave me a bunch of home-made black ball "herbal candy" to take with the medicine. And he gave DH some black pills to strengthen his sperm. And that was it! No acupuncture for me! And oh! He told us to abstain from sex for 1 month, but he also said I could go ahead and try when I asked him if we should give this month a shot. So I am all confused.

ROUND 2 - Ding! Ding! Over!
Conclusion - Communication Disaster! NOT good!

Then just before we left he noticed that hubby had a stuffy nose and said that he would treat it for him, free of charge. And that it would be very quick. He pricked a spot between DH's eyes and wiggled the needled a bit. He also pricked another point on his face. And it was all over in less than 30 seconds. DH, was astonished, more because his sinuses magically opened up and drained completely the moment he poked the needle in. He said his blocked sinus was gone in an instant!


ROUND 3 - Ding! Ding! Over!
Conclusion - Maybe he knows something about acupuncture. He's not a Quack Doctor?!?!

When we left we were still clueless about how his treatments were going to unfold. All we knew was that we were to come see him at his other clinic on February 5th. That's 2 weeks on, which is a really long gap, compared to the twice weekly visits I am used to. 

I was pretty speechless after our visit with him. It was not what I had expected at all. I really did not know what to think! It was a very difficult session, but I was intrigued, and still desperate. I had to go back and see what else he has to offer. 

His clinic does not dispense herbal medicine, so I went to a chinese herbal store and ordered 3 packets to try out his formula first. Well, it was pretty disgusting - after boiling it, what I got was this thick, black, gluggy goo. When the concoction starts to cool, a skin would start to form over it. That's how gross it was! The taste was pretty vile, but still downable. And the black ball "candy" was NOT candy at all! I miss my TCM doc's herbals medicine... :-( 

Well, the only consolation was that I only had to drink his herbal medicine every second day! 

My next post - Why I call him Dr Yeeeouch! 

5 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

Hmmm....very intriguing! Can't wait to read what happens next!

Gurlee said...

I just found your blog through another blog and I am so glad that I did!
Your visit sounds umm, interesting. Did I understand that the acupuncturist does not speak english?

Curing your hubby's headache intrigues me, amazing!

I recently found the book that changed your life and I am embracing TCM. I have gone the western route and will mostly likely end up utilizing both methods.

Its nice to find you! Good luck and feel free to visit me at my little blog.
Best,
Gurlee :)

deirdre said...

love moxa! love it!

it's ok if he doesn't know the word endo, tho he should - they know pelvic stagnation in women, and wanting to have children

hysts don't cure endo....endo is outside the uterus...adenomyosis is in the uterine walls...

have you heard of the endo diet? eliminate wheat, red meat, dairy and sugar and it can help, endometriosis dot com or dot or

same thing helps with pcos, google pcos diet

omsoul dot com has the names of docs who help women conceive naturally, progesterone can help

there are endo experts out there, check out endometriosis research center, erc dot org

centerforendo dot com

most ob/gyns do not know how to deal with endo :(

natural progesterone can help women with miscarriages, and with heavy bleeding / cramping and trying to conceive

have you had your progesterone levels checked?

you want to take progesterone,bio-identical, not the synthetic progestin in the pill

zengirl said...

Hi Gurlee,

Nice to meet you! Thanks for dropping by! I'm glad to know that you're embracing TCM. I'm hoping it'll work for all of us!

--

And Hi Deirdre,

Thanks for all of your tips and info!
I've tried the endo diet but it has not helped much in regards to managing the disease. I don't know if it is helping my fertility chances either. So far every doc I've had (TCM docs included) have had very different recommendations!

I've decided to steer away from western medical treatments for endo which does not seem to help much because they are not treating the root cause of the problem. And every time you go thru surgery, the healing process takes away valuable energy from your reproductive system instead, which is also counter-productive.

Progesterone-that's one supplement which might help me. I will have to put it on my list of things to check out, but I am hoping that TCM will help me produce my own progesterone adequately... Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Hello.. May I know what happens in your treatment? Did you get pregnant? I can recommend to you my friends acupuncturist. They waited for 6 years to have a baby then they tried the miami acupuncture and she is pregnant now after some sessions.