Saturday, October 17, 2009

A Day In The Life of Zengirl

My heart sank when I went to the hospital today to have my wound checked - the flap of skin on my wrist had turned gray. And the doctor said it didn't look good. It means that the skin had not been getting much blood supply and it's dying. He did say that it was still early and that he would leave it there till my next check-up in 2 day's time. Oh, my dear little skin-please live!

But on the TCM front, I seem to be doing quite well - despite the fact that I had gone out to party last night and stayed out till 5 in the morning! We had a triple date with some friends who had flown in from Sydney. The two couples who have 5 kids between them got somebody to baby sit all their kids, and it was going to be an all-adults wild night out, which was so rare! Woohoo! My part-Mummy, part-Frankenstein arm was not going to stop me!

We went for a lovely dinner at a Balineses restaurant. I gave in to the temptation of an icy cold non-alcoholic Lemongrass Mojito (YUM!) and I thought I'd counteract that with lamb, which apparently is warming. Maybe it worked. Our Sydney friends wanted to go dancing after, and sadly, we had no idea where to take them. We (the other 2 couples) have not gone clubbing like for at least a decade! How sad is that? They asked me when was the last time we went dancing---"Ummm....On my wedding day 10 years ago???" Tragic! Well, we did find our way to a strip where all the "happening" clubs were and after sussing them all out, we found one with music that we liked. Dancing. Pool. More cold drinks (eeek!). Chit-chatting (or more like shouting across the deafening music. Ringing ears after. We stayed till they closed (is that cool?) and adjourned for supper at a 24-hour place and ate and talked some more till the crack of dawn! It was so much fun! It was an incredible and one rare night for us late thirty/early forty somethings!

And SO! What was my TCM doc gonna say about last night? Surprisingly, my heat levels have gone back up and are staying there despite the cold drinks and the trauma my hand's gone through. He wasn't too happy about the cold drinks though...

So I had Moxa No.6 today. He's giving me a break tomorrow though. Yay! I've been spending so much time at his clinic-I'm there everyday. It's kinda interesting hanging out there though, seeing all sorts of patients come through. Today they got a call informing them that a famous celebrity was coming in . So all of us at the clinic were gossiping and guessing who it could be. Within minutes, a pretty young woman walked in with her father. Apparently it's a famous actress and VJ. I don't know who she was, so it was kinda anti-climatic. Oh well!

Anyway, back to my unglamorous life, I'm doing all I can now to help my wounds heal well. My TCM doc recommended juicing some aloe vera with red apples (with a bit of ginger to counteract its cooling properties), and having that once a day. And also making a soup from a special type of fish called the snakehead or Channa Striatus, which supposedly has anti microbial, anti inflammatory and wound healing properties. I had no idea where to get any of these ingredients except the apples, so it was speed-dial Mom 911 time! Amazingly, she managed to get some aloe vera from her neighbor's garden and find the fish too! My mum's so great! She comes through for me every time!

So that's pretty much a day in the life of me. Snore, snore! I wonder who reads this stuff???

4 comments:

Jill M. said...

Ugh, sorry that your arm isn't healing correctly. Can you acup increase the blood flow to the area?

Man, I haven't partied or went out clubbing in ages!!! You go girl!

Mad Hatter said...

I am really sorry to hear about your arm - I hope it gets much better fast!

It's interesting with the TCM thing - I really am finding that a little cheating here and there is not throwing me off balance after 4 months of acupuncture and eating well 95% of the time. I know Randine Lewis has her thoughts about this, but I think my acupuncturist (who's been practicing for a lot longer than Lewis) is right - a little treat is not a bad thing, as long as you aren't going to get all stressed over it. It sounds like you had a fantastic time - good for you!

By the way, I was in Malaysia for a wonderful holiday at the Shangri-la in Kota Kinabalu about 13 years ago - it was wonderful!!

Phoebe said...

The juicing sounds really interesting. I have recently gotten into juicing myself, to help my fertility at 43. I can honestly say that the book "The Infertility Cure" changed my life when I found it four years ago.

I hope your arm heals on it's own. The body has an amazing capacity to heal.

zengirl said...

Thanks Jill, Maddy and Phoebe for dropping by! I am definitely channelling your well wishes towards my arm to heal well. Thank you! I had a dream last night that my arm was doing great. Can't tell from all these bandages covering it, but I am certainly trying to hypnotize my brain into healing my arm for me. Maybe it manifested itself in a dream instead! LOL!