Monday, November 16, 2009

My Liver's Having A Bad Day!

Well, well, I never thought I'd see this day, but AF has finally packed her bags and left, along with all that miserable pain!

So I went in for my doctor's appointment at the TCM clinic today hoping to get some burning luurve for my body-- err..., I mean, moxa. But my doc says,

"Why is your liver so stressed?"

Uhmmm.... ???

Apparently it wasn't food related.

So I fessed up--I think I did not have enough sleep. (Gulp!)

But, but, it wasn't my fault! It was Aunt Flo's fault. And Aunt Endo's. They were having a party last week and didn't let me sleep. As a result, they've turned my whole sleeping cycle upside, down, not that it was ever right side up in the first place. I live a largely nocturnal life, which is queer by most people's standards. But now, I live in Mar's time zone. Or somewhere unearthly!

Last night I went to bed at 5 a.m.

I woke up at 7 a.m. and couldn't get back to sleep.

I tried torturing myself to sleep, reading one photography book, one cancer book, one recipe book, numerous rounds of Sudoku.

And drove my cat crazy (who was really trying very hard to sleep at the foot of my bed) with cuddles, and stroking and petting, and jibberish crazy cat-woman talk.




After a light lunch, I finally went to sleep at 1.30 p.m. (These are the perks of working at home at your own hours!) Slept for 3 hours and woke up at 4.30 p.m. to rush to the clinic! So...

"No moxa today!"


But why?

Reason: My liver's already stressed so we don't want to heat it up even more.

"If you want to do moxa tomorrow, make sure you sleep tonight!" he says.

It's now 5.33 a.m. Aaaaarrrgghhhhhhhhh!!!!


2 comments:

Mad Hatter said...

Ha. Your dealer is holding out on you, huh? Well, then you'd better get some rest! Seriously - I read somewhere that according to TCM we all need to get to sleep before 10 or 11 pm at night or it does terrible things to our system. I don't always follow it, but apparently if you follow it most of the time you can cheat and get away with it. Have you considered seeing a naturopath? Mine gave me a wonderful homeopathic remedy to help me get to sleep when I started this whole business and it worked like a charm (I, too, had a tendency to have an overactive brain at night - a symptom of yang deficiency, I think). Nice to have you back, by the way! ;-)

zengirl said...

Thanks Maddy! I too heard about the 10/11pm rule. My TCM doc once said to me-make sure you're in bed by 10.59 pm! Well, it hasn't worked out very well for me! My body's made for the wrong timezone! LOL! I never tried homeopathic-induced sleep though. Maybe it's worth a shot!